Friday, March 7, 2008

Thinking of warmer weather

This is a picture I took at Salt Fork State Park in Ohio last fall. I know it doesn't look much like fall in the picture, but it was taken in mid-October. And it was pretty darn warm that day too. Here we are in March and we are expected to get about a foot of snow. In March. Sometimes I start to wonder what happened to the seasons. I remember when I was little things seemed different. The leaves were starting to change color when school was starting. I remember trick or treating in snow. There was almost always snow around Thanksgiving. And Christmas? There would be mounds of white fluffiness to build snowmen with or go sled riding on. Now? I remember going running on Christmas Eve day a couple years ago in sweatpants and a t-shirt! By March it seemed to me we had plenty of daffodils and crocuses around and spring was definitely in the air. Now I don't know if I necessarily believe in the global warming thing, but you do have to wonder about how the seasons have seemed to have shifted. When I was little a huge snow storm in March was a rare occurrence. As a matter of fact I believe a freak snowstorm in March hastened the arrival of my baby brother. He's going to be 25. But I'm also old enough to remember back in the day they talked about a second ice age. Oh, who knows? If nothing else weather oddities will always be something of interest and something to get me thinking. Nothing wrong with that :cD

No comments: